Friday, January 5, 2018

RIP Wilmer Nadjiwon

It's been a bleak start to 2018, and I resolved to avoid saying anything about it until I found a story that grabbed my attention. I found it yesterday at the Topnotch.

The proprietors had set up a small shrine in honour of a long-time customer, Wilmer J Nadjiwon. It included a couple of paintings, a small sculpture, and a copy of his book, "Not Wolf Nor Dog." I bought a copy of the book. The woman behind the counter says I should have bought it last week - I could have had it signed.

Ya, I said. Too bad he didn't give us a heads up.

Funny how that works; a guy buys the farm at age ninety-six, and everybody around them is like "where the hell did that come from... we had no idea!"

One reason you had no idea with Mr. Nadjiwon is that he looked a good quarter century younger than his ninety-six years. And what a run he had! From surviving the residential school system to surviving the depression to surviving front line action in WW II with the Canadian Army, Mr. Nadjiwon was a survivor many times over.

But he was so much more than that.

He was an Ojibway elder who devoted his life to the betterment of his people. He was highly respected locally and nationally by Native and non-native alike.


Godspeed, Mr. Nadjiwon; you'll be missed.



No comments:

Post a Comment