Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Derek Sanderson's white skates

For a brief shining moment Derek Sanderson was the highest paid professional athlete in the world.

Not too long after, he was a has-been.

But in between this and that, he was my hockey idol.

I don't recall if he actually wore the white skates, but I definitely remember him talking about it. Lacing up a pair of white skates was gonna be a red flag for the opposing team. After all, white skates were girlie skates. Figure skates.

By pulling on a pair of figure skates he was not-so-subtly telling the opposing side that even girls could whup 'em. That would have the effect of discombobulating the other side even before the opening face-off.

Sheer genius!

I was so impressed that I looked for a pair of white size 12 hockey skates myself, the better to intimidate the opposition in the second or third tier of industrial league hockey I played at the time.

No luck.

Did find a pair of white hockey gloves though.

If they ever intimidated anyone, I never noticed.


No comments:

Post a Comment