Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Twelve years of university for temp contracts with no benefits?

That's how the world of post-secondary education works these days.

I was gratified to hear from my dear daughter that my future son-in-law finally found a paying job - right back at the university where he got his Doctor Phil!

Yup, he's a contract "program coordinator" who will have the benefit of re-applying for his job every six months. That's his only benefit.

At least he's got "critical thinking skills."

According to Mark Kingswell in a recent Globe op-ed, that's what they're teaching kids in university these days.

Critical thinking.

Kingswell is a tenured prof at the same university where my future son-in-law is making considerably less money than I'd make if I put on a welding helmet again.

For championing the benefits of a university education, Kingswell pulls down $166,000 + per year.

After going full-bore down that road, my PhD (Chem, U of T) son-in-law makes less than a half-way competent welder.

Time to activate those critical thinking skills dude!


Either that or catch some Breaking Bad reruns...


No comments:

Post a Comment