Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Weeknd v. The Tragically Hip

As a tragically unhip Canadian, I never got The Tragically Hip. In fact, after my disastrous foray into hipness ended in disgrace with those purple bell-bottoms I wore to school, once, in grade ten, I have studiously avoided hipness in all its manifold manifestations.

Nevertheless, the Canadian music press is alive these days with adulation for The Hip's Not Dead Yet tour, also known as the Man Machine Poem tour, just to prove these quintessential Canadian rockers haven't lost their knack for pretentious titles... for songs, albums, tours, or whatever.

Meanwhile, the Weeknd has reportedly made a serious donation to Black Lives Matter, as well he should. After all, he's rich, he's black, and donating a percentage of his take from one show to BLM is a serious gesture on his part.

Frankly, I don't get The Weeknd either.

Here's what I'd like to see; Abel Tesfaye on stage with Gord Downie.

Now that would be quintessentially Canadian for me.

I'd get that.

Hell, maybe they'd let me do the harp solo?...

Now that would be a dream come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment