Saturday, July 16, 2016

What's in a name?

Churchill Downs.

Falling Downs.

Get it?

Ya, seems kinda stupid to me too.

But five years ago when I decided to embark on this blogging mission, I was casting about for a name. My first thought was "neumann's blog," as in I'm neumann and here's my blog.

But at the time I thought that was somewhat banal. Obscure. Even a little precious...

On the other hand, I thought "neumann's blog" was a little plain, bereft of irony, and just a little too sensible... and I just love irony.

Three months in I was sick and tired of the "irony." Ya, we get it... the place is falling down, so why not the name "Falling Downs?"

That first blog post appeared five years ago today.  At the time I figured I'd take a stab at putting my opinions out there, and what the fuck, I'll get enough hate mail in three or four months that I'll give it up by October.

October came and went and by then I'd had the WTC 7 post which got like a thousand views in one day, and I thought I was off to the races!

As in, if there's a thousand views today, there'll be two thousand tomorrow, and give this a few months and I'll be able to quit my day job...

Never happened.

Anyway, I thought I'd celebrate the anniversary by going back to that very banal first impulse.

It's now just "neumann's blog."

Goodbye Falling Downs.

Welcome to neumann's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment