Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Justice in America

I grew up believing America was a great country. I grew up listening to the little GE radio beside my bed, which got a total of three stations; one in my home town of Guelph, and two in Chicago. In the late sixties I fell asleep most nights listening to WLS or WCFL.


While still in my teens I hitch-hiked across the western states, a greasy hairball with no legitimate business being there. All my interactions with law enforcement were cordial. Highway Patrol troopers would wave as they passed me, thumb out on a "no-hitch-hiking" interstate.


Where has it all gone so wrong?


It beggars belief that a young black woman can be tossed in jail for not signaling a lane change. Fortunately, the human rights industry has got its teeth into the Sandra Bland case, and one senses that they're not going to let this go.


Nor should they.


But here's what baffles me; not two hours away from where Ms. Bland was accosted, nine men were shot down almost exactly two months before. There has been a complete fog over the story. We have no idea how many of those nine dead died at the hands of police. The human rights professionals and the media who are correctly championing Ms. Bland are completely AWOL on the Waco massacre.


Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment