Wednesday, July 18, 2012

An embarrassment of riches

The heat wave seems to have broken, at least somewhat.

That means that I need to move beyond pondering, beyond planning... I have to do something.

But what?

I'm saving the bat shit in the attic for a rainy day. A cool rainy day. No sense wasting a gorgeous afternoon's sunshine up there.

So it's outside then... it's been awhile since I fetched a load of wood. In fact, the trailer behind the woodshed is waiting to be unloaded. I'd almost forgotten about it.

While I was poking about back there I found my 22 ton wood-splitter virtually engulfed by tall grass. I'd forgotten about that too. Oh yeah, I have a wood-splitter... better get to it then.

The sight of that machine trying to peek out from the overgrowth reminded me of something I read recently. Someone was making the observation that underbrush, overgrowth, the stuff that grows in ditches etc. seems to grow a lot faster today than it did in his youth fifty years ago.

By gosh, I think he's right. Turn your back on the weeds for a couple of weeks and they've taken over. He puts it down to global warming. All that extra CO2 in the atmosphere just supercharges the plant growth. Not that it seems to do that for the wheat or the corn though.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence I suppose. He thinks undergrowth comes up faster. I agree. But is this because it comes up faster or because two creaky seniors can't rely on their memories anymore?

That's a damned good question...

I could ponder that for hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment