Saturday, March 31, 2012

Welcome to Bola Granola

I always thought it might be a fun gig to run a B&B.

On the other hand, I dread staying at any place that bills itself a B&B. You know that somebody is making your bacon and eggs while seeing their kids off to school. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't particularly like the sense that I'm intruding on someones family life.

When I lived in Saint John me and the missus of the time and our kids used to spend weekends prowling around southern New Brunswick. In Chance Harbour somebody named Mahwinney put up a purpose built B&B overlooking the Bay of Fundy.

Given that the place was only half an hour from where we lived, we didn't ever stay there, but I'm wondering how they fared out as a commercial venture.

I think given the right setting, you could make a viable business out of a B&B. Chance Harbour would certainly be one of those settings.

You'd also need a certain minimum scale to make such a venture viable. Renting out your spare room and calling your place a B&B doesn't really cut it. I think what I want to do would be more like a small Inn. Kind of like Newhart had going or John Cleese in the Fawlty Towers thing.

Oh, maybe that's why I thought it was a good idea...

Newhart.

Cleese.

The Bola Granola B&B. Eight guest rooms each with a view of Georgian Bay. Private baths. Smoking permitted only on the balconies and the outdoor patio area. Bola Granola is outside the range of any cell-tower or internet provider, so leave your electronic shit at home.

That in itself has to be worth an extra fifty bucks a night.

And for the breakfast part of your B&B experience, just help yourself to a bowl of granola.



Welcome to Bola Granola!


No comments:

Post a Comment