Saturday, December 17, 2011

Occupy Kemble: taking it to the street in a small town

Kemble doesn't have a town square per se, so I took my demo to the lawn in front of the post office on Friday.

Mrs. Wallace, the post office lady, was not impressed. "Get the fuck off my lawn" were her exact words.

I was not deterred. I marched up and down with my sign. Somebody has to breathe new life into the flagging  Occupy movement.

"Pogey stamps not food stamps" my sign read. Lucy wore a sign that said "capitalism sucks."

Going for a touch of levity, I had a sign on Boomer that said "bow wow."

Mrs. Wallace didn't think any of this was funny. Sent her kids out with their BB guns. They were taking shots at my sign. When I almost got hit in the eye I hid in my tent.

Next thing I know Mrs. Wallace is kicking me through the side of my 6x9 Walmart camper's special.

"If you don't get your shit off the lawn right now I'm gonna have Billy put you and your tent through the wood-chipper!"

The wood-chipper? I didn't like the sound of that. And knowing Billy, he'd be likely to do it too. Did everything his missus told him. Once you've pissed her off you've pretty much got the whole town against you. Plus, and I wish I'd thought of this sooner, any government checks you might be expecting are definitely going to be taking the long way to your mailbox.

Time to reassess the situation. Besides, I was almost out of beer. Took the last two cans in and handed them to Mrs. Wallace.

"I'd like for you and Billy to have these" I said.

I think I made my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment