Thursday, December 15, 2011

"I liked the war" - interview with a Libyan rebel

He liked the war? Well no kidding. Relaxing on mattresses and smoking hash while you wait for NATO to lay down another run of Bunker Busters and Paveway Smart Bombs.

I've done a bit of relaxing on mattresses and smoking hash in my time too, but in my day it wasn't called war, it was called partying, and I don't recall inviting NATO to the party.

But I must admit I was just one degree of separation away from true fighting stoners. Actually I was close enough to the fighting stoner to be able to pass the pipe. He was an Israeli Arab who had been in the IDF. Don't know if they even allow that anymore.

Anyway, buddy was recounting tales of the Sinai campaign in the '73 war. Recalled thousands of army boots abandoned in the desert by the Egyptians. Apparently they could run faster without their boots.

But I digress. Back to the fighting stoners who freed Libya, with a little help  from NATO, the most powerful military alliance in the history of war. Anyway, the BBC found this former rebel who is among the 99.9% of former rebels who are disinclined to give up their guns.

"We like carrying our guns. With them we can do what we want and go where we want."

Ya. Nice life, ain't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment