Saturday, July 16, 2011

Welcome to Falling Downs

Who the hell needs another blog?
You do, dear reader! And here's why; while there are literally hundreds of millions of blogs out there, absolutely none of them bring you the view from Falling Downs.
What is Falling Downs? Falling Downs is the wee organic farm where I live, nestled in the folds of the Niagara Escarpment, a UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve if you don't mind. (The Niagara Escarpment, not my farm - just to be clear.) Aside from being a World Biosphere Reserve we're also a mere one hour drive downwind from one of the biggest nuclear generating plants in North America. Ah... there you go  - biosphere reserve and potential nuclear fallout all in one sweet package. It's those little contradictions that make life interesting!
As for the view, well, when I sit in my Muskoka chair facing south, I see the escarpment ridge on the other side of Bass Lake. When I look west I see the escarpment ridge between here and Wolsley. When I look north I see the escarpment ridge that separates Falling Downs from Colpoy's  Bay. East, I just get my neighbour's house. However, if I built an observation tower at least 30 feet high on the highest point of my property and looked east, I would see the waters of Georgian bay where the bay runs into Owen Sound.
The organic farming aspect of Falling Downs is a work in progress. The progress has been slow, in part because I spend too much time admiring the various views. Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day either. We don't allow any chemicals on our property, so that's a start, I guess. 
The view in The View From Falling Downs isn't really about those literal views, however (although it will be from time to time). Rather, the view is my point of view on a variety of issues that have engaged me for a long time. I care about the world I live in. I've been a news junkie my whole life. What are the issues that engage and enrage me?
Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment